Spay and Neuter in Oakland
Spay and neuter surgeries do more than prevent unwanted pregnancies. They also contribute to your pet’s long-term health and well-being. With timely surgery, your pet benefits from a reduced risk of several reproductive diseases, as well as behavioral modifications that allow them to enjoy a more peaceful coexistence with you. At Broadway Pet Hospital, we offer the safest surgeries for your new pet, so they can get back to their playful selves as soon as possible.
The Benefits of Surgery
When your pet undergoes a spay or neuter surgery, you’ll set them up for a long, happy life. Some of the benefits they’ll experience include:
- No heat cycles (females) and less mounting behavior (males)
- Reduced desire to roam to find a mate (both)
- Less aggression and no urine-marking behavior (males)
- Decreased risk of mammary gland tumors (females) and prostate problems (males)
- Reduced risk of pyometra, a serious uterine infection (females)
- Reduced risk of certain cancers including uterine and ovarian (females) and testicular (males)
Timing of Surgery
When timed appropriately, your pet will experience the most benefits from their spay or neuter surgery. While the general guideline is to perform surgery at about 6 months of age, the timeline varies between gender and breed. For instance, certain large breed dogs benefit from a later surgery because their reproductive hormones help control their growth spurts. Meanwhile, female kittens benefit most when they are spayed at about 4 months of age, before their first heat cycle. This will further reduce their risk for mammary gland tumors. Make an appointment to discuss the right time for your pet's surgery today.