After-Hours Triage with GuardianVets
How Do I Know It's an Emergency?
Recognizing a pet emergency isn’t always easy. A good rule of thumb is that if you notice any significant change in your pet’s behavior, it’s best to call our practice and speak with a GuardianVets associate. They’ll be able to assess your pet's situation over the phone and will direct you to our referral emergency hospital, Bay Area Veterinary Specialists if your pet needs emergency care.
Here are some clear signs your pet needs urgent care:
- Difficulty breathing
- Vomiting or diarrhea for more than 24 hours
- Blood in vomit, stool, or urine
- Suspected fracture
- Ingestion of a known toxin
- Eye injuries
- Confrontation with another animal
- Lack of appetite
- Straining to urinate (particular to male cats)